Tuesday, December 14, 2010

M' Sonje Ayiti Anpil!

I have been practicing my Creole and offering up prayer through Creole worship songs from my learning cd...and have been missing Haiti a lot.

The other day, I was mentioning the possible upcoming trip in March and my sister responded by saying, "Aren't things kind of dangerous down there right now? With the riots and stuff?"...

..I said yes and that, although it's risky, that shouldn't stop me. Then she said something that led me to really think about missionary work altogether:

"Well your not supposed to risk your life for this are you?"

And later as I contemplated her question...I thought, "If I don't risk my life, what worth is there in the work?"

Time and time again, Jesus tells us in the gospel that we must lay down our lives, pick up our cross and follow him, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, be last...and I'm pretty sure avoiding a risk to my earthly life is not included in the fine print of the Gospel.

When I was a teenager, and I had my conversion, I knew I did not want to live a lukewarm existence. If I won't risk my life for Christ, then who else would I risk it for? I honestly belief that it is simply training to be a parent.

We have to look to our role models: Our Blessed Mother gave up her physical body for Christ to dwell in, Jesus died so that we could have eternal life, Blessed Mother Theresa risked her entire life for the dignity of others, St. Gianna died so that her fourth child could live...if we learn anything about how to be a true success in this life in the eyes of God, we would risk our lives for the least of His people every single day!

No comments:

Post a Comment