Friday, January 20, 2012

7 Quick Takes - Healthy Living

Hi Everyone!!

Here are this week's quick takes with an overall theme of healthy living. Please check out Jen @ Conversion Diary where 7 Quick Takes is hosted!!

~1~
NFP/NaproTechnology. Back in October, I started learning more about the Creighton Model System of Natural Family Planning. What? I'm not married, I'm not even engaged, right? The earlier the better, especially if you are unsure of your body and have some issues you are concerned about. The Creighton Model focuses on observing signs given by your body throughout a woman's cycle to detect any issues, plan/avoid pregnancy and when followed strictly as directed, is 99% effective for pregnancy planning. My teacher recommended that I see a NaproTechnology doctor. I said, "well I just have a bunch of PMS, it's not a big deal". And she said, "There is treatment for that".

I went in and had no fears because I knew this doctor was not only Catholic, but pro-life and would never tell me to go on "the pill". That made me feel immediately at ease. So, I'm taking vitamins and once I get some bloodwork done, will start taking some hormones to balance out what I'm lacking in to help my body function normally. I'm so excited to get this figured out way before I need to worry about it within marriage. Trust me ladies, if you can learn this now, get a handle on it! Once the engagement/marriage happens, it will be a lot to learn on top of everything else!

~2~
Seeing this new doctor led me to see that it is time to change my eating habits. The main reason is that I need to lose weight. I've never been okay to admit that before, but I know it is solely because my body needs to be in better shape. I am confident now more than ever in my own skin as far as self esteem goes. Now it is time to treat my body for what it is: a temple of the Holy Spirit made in God's image and likeness to do His will. I can't do that if I'm constantly stuffing it with fast food/take out. In my search, through an old high school teacher, I have found this awesome website called Local Harvest which will help you find local farms to purchase fresh produce, meats, etc. My favorite part is I found 2 farms in my state that sell grass fed beef. One that offers online ordering/shipping! I haven't had time yet to search for good produce places yet, but I'll keep on searching! What an exciting journey!

~3~
Since I've started taking my vitamins (Vit D3 and Magnesium), and only slightly changed things about sleep, I've noticed I've felt more refreshed than I have in a long time once I'm awake for the day. The best part about that is having the energy to work out. Gasp! Did Kristina just say WORK OUT? Yes, yes I did. I'm only 2 days into it and day one was a hot mess. I am on this train. I dug out my Turbo Jam DVDs by Chalene Johnson that I had gotten from Beach Body 2 years ago and won't put them away!

You can find something just for you on that site, I promise! They also have a "live gym" where you can log/schedule workouts, invite work out buddies, find groups for people using Beach Body programs in your area. I've got a friend who is a beach body coach, and she's always offering free samples of Shakeology which is a yummy meal replacement shake. I'm going to try it out when their new Tropical Strawberry flavor comes out soon. Best part is, I believe they are gluten and soy free! (That's hard to find in meal replacement shakes, trust me!)

~4~
I've also considered going Gluten Free over the past 6 months, but never am in a place where I feel like I could tackle it. Just today, on facebook, a friend mentioned she was considering it too. One of her friends suggested Jerusalem Artichoke Pasta (found here) and another friend suggested a Cook Book! for inexpensive gluten free recipes! Can't wait to check these out!

~5~
If you are on the healthy train, and someone brings up homeopathic remedies, how can you even try to refuse? A store very near my house sells the remedies so I'm currently taking one for acne to see how it works. I'm day 2 of 3 of taking it and will definitely try to remember to post results! I also got one for lower back pain to try during PMS. The great part is I'm not adding any unnatural drugs into my system and even if the remedies don't work, it's not hurting my body!

~6~
I'm also trying to stay happy. It helps that I'm about to  leave for the 2nd weekend in a row to see my niece and nephews! They always make me happy! A happy Auntie and is a healthy Auntie. 

~7~
I leave you with a video of my favorite song:


Have a great weekend everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment