Thursday, September 16, 2010

Changes

I haven't posted too much because school has begun. And while I'm only there one night a week, the work is hefty. I'm mostly busy doing graphic design stuff. That class is very interesting but definitely more of a challenge than I thought.

My favorite is my Humanities class. I didn't think that could ever be possible. Previously at Albertus, I've had the "I'm a liberal, you should abandon all previous opinions about life and history, and accept my views cause I'm smart and your a dumb student" type of professor. And now, I have a more philosophical, "let's learn from each other because we're all human beings seeking deeper knowledge"

What I've learned and thought about in the past two weeks through this class is amazing. Mostly, I've learned how to really get into a deep contemplative place in my mind, to contemplate deep matters of being, of life. It's like being in a different world.

It has led me to very deep thoughts as I lie in bed waiting to fall asleep, which sometimes only brings me to greater awareness and alertness, keeping me from sleep. I read the Apology and the Phaedo by Plato for the first time through this class...and I keep meditating still on the words of Socrates to one of his followers about death. How, as philosophers, they view the goal of life to think of things related to the soul, to find truth in what that is and such...and how that means for them that death (the separation of the body from the soul) is actually not a bad thing because then if they are only soul, they can be free from the distraction of the body (basic needs and distractiosn like food and surroundings)...it's a crazy idea...but we believe that as Catholics too. In a way. At death, my soul is what lives on, the only death is of the body. Then I can be free from worldy, bodily distractions (appearance, needs, etc) and focus soley (pun intended) on the matters of the soul!

If we meditate on this, we will not fear death, but accept it whenever it may come.

No comments:

Post a Comment